How To Change The Bulb In An Electric Fireplace? (Beginner’s Guide)
Having a fireplace to keep your indoor environment warm and cozy on colder days is convenient. However, it is better and safer if that fireplace is electric. Since an electric fireplace is simple to set up, safe to use, and considerably less expensive than other non-electric fireplaces, the electric fireplace has grown in popularity and become more common among households.
Yet, since the electric fireplace is an electronic device, it is prone to electric errors like any other electronic device. This article will show you how to change the bulb in an electric fireplace, which troubleshoots the problem of the fire effect not working properly in the electric fireplace.
Why Do You Need To Change The Bulb In An Electric Fireplace?
You need to change the light bulbs inside the electric fireplace to maintain the flame effect of this device. It is the light bulbs that create the fire image in the electric fireplace. This electronic device generates hot air through electricity and its built-in fan instead of a real fire.
This device uses the light bulbs placed in a rotating rod to replicate the fire of a non-electric fireplace. Whenever the fireplace is turned on, the light bulbs will turn on, and the rod will move to reflect light onto the front screen and create the illusion of fire. Hence, the light bulbs are essential for the fire effect of this electrical device.
When the light bulbs go out, the fire effect can be dimmer or stop working entirely. Hence, when the flame of your electric fireplace fails to display correctly, you need to check the light bulbs inside this device and change it.
How To Change The Bulb In An Electric Fireplace?
To change the bulb in your electric fireplace, follow the simple steps below:
- Preparation: Make sure that you have the correct bulb replacement for your electric fireplace model. The suitable type of light bulb for your electric fireplace should be listed in the owner’s manual that comes with the device. If you cannot find the manual, you can contact the manufacturer to ask or bring the old bulb to your local hardware store to buy the same model.
- Unplug the fireplace: If the fireplace is hard-wired into the electrics, ensure that you unplug it from the wall or disconnect it from the electric source before starting the process. If your electric fireplace has been working before this process, you should allow the bulbs to cool for 10-15 minutes before removing them so that they are not too hot.
- Remove the fireplace access cover. This can usually be found at the back of the unit. You can access this part by removing the panel of the fireplace. The panel is generally held together by a few screws. You can consult your owner’s manual to determine how to remove this panel without damaging the fireplace for extra precaution.
- Locate the light bulb and replace it: To remove the bulb, rotate it in a counterclockwise direction. If your fireplace uses halogen light bulbs, ensure that you don’t contact the bulbs with your hands. Use a glove or a napkin instead. The natural oil from your skin can damage the surface of this bulb, reduce its lifespan, and result in poor lighting. To install the replacement bulb, carefully screw it in a clockwise motion.
- Finishing the process: Reassemble the unit and reattach the access cover. Use the required screws to secure the back access door. To make sure that the replacement works, plug the electric fireplace back into its electric source or switch on the power. Your flame should be glistening and dancing just like they were before the light bulb went out.
Here is a video on how to change the light bulb in an electric fireplace for your further information:
How often should I change the light bulb in my electric fireplace?
This depends on the condition of your light bulbs and the flame effect of your fireplace. If the bulbs and the flame effect still work properly, don’t fix or change anything.
When you notice that the flame on your electric fireplace is starting to dim, you should replace all the light bulbs simultaneously to make sure that the brightness is evenly distributed throughout the unit.
Changing all the bulbs is also more convenient because, in this way, you will not have to go through the same installation process every time a bulb fails. Thus, you can ensure that all of your bulbs are in good condition.
How long do these light bulbs last?
The lifespan of your electric fireplace light bulbs is determined by how you use them. Yet, these light bulbs should last for the same amount of time, around 1000 and 2000 hours. Hence, they will need to be replaced every couple of years.
Is the electric fireplace worth it?
We would say the electric fireplace will be an investment that you will not regret. It is a safer and more convenient replacement for the non-electric fireplace.
Furthermore, since there is no burning process in this device, there is no waste, pollution, and potential fire hazards when using an electric fireplace. Hence, this device is family-friendly, apartment-friendly, and still allows your family to enjoy the ambiance of a fireplace.
Now you have had everything you need to know to change the light bulbs inside your electric fireplace. Apply our steps and keep the flame of your electric fireplace alive. You can thank us later!